Tuesday 10 April 2012

Zakka house pouch

Here is my take on the Zakka House pouch:


I wasn't planning on making the house pouch but then I went into my handbag and saw my 'travelling first aid kit' and thought that perhaps it was time that I had something nice to put all my stuff in.  Here is a picture of my 'before' kit... Classy huh?  The two coloured elastics on a beat up old yucky ziplock baggie sure make it pretty:


Yay for the Zakka house pouch being my 'first aid kit' rescuer!  This means that my happy pink and yellow tablets (migraine pills for those who don't know about 'the pink' and 'the yellow' ones), tissues (kleenex for the North American readers), hand gel and bandaids (plasters for the UK readers) all have a lovely new 'home' [pun intended]!!  hahaha 

I'm pleased with my efforts but thought that the pattern should have had more diagrams.  I'm a visual person and the lack of diagrams or pictures had me baffled at a couple places, hence the close relationship I have with my seam-ripper. 

I don't own any lace so went with some yummy turquoise/teal/gold trim, used some Daisy Janie organic printed cotton for the roof which sort of looked like roof tiles, used Michael Millar stripes for the inside, plus a few scraps.  A nice red zipper was used to jazz it all up as my house colours were quite conservative.  I raided my button tin too (oh how I loooove buttons).  For the windows and door I used Wonder Under so these stayed in place nicely so I could sew around them - it worked a treat.  My iron-on interfacing didn't stick as well as it should have so perhaps I need to re-assess how I interpreted the manufacturers 'how-to' instructions!  I don't seem to have a zipper foot for my wee Toyota so I did my best sewing in my first zipper EVER!!  It works and looks pretty good so that's good, right?!!  It's been a fun learning experience.

Here are a few of the 'process' photos, for those visual people out there, plus a few more :)  Happy Zakka'ing.

I'm linking this post up with:
Check them all out!










I'm linking my finish up here:
April Finishes

17 comments:

Charlotte said...

that is so cute! I agree with you about the lack of diagrams though - it has put me off making things from that book. Damn visual learning styles!

Pennie said...

It's so lovely!

Cherie said...

Wow it looks great! I too agree with the picture thing. It makes things much easier when you see a picture of the explanation, not just a load of words! =D

Sarah Craig said...

How cute! I like the ribbon rather than lace - much more tailored!

Finding Fifth said...

Thank you thank you Amy...from one visual learner to another. I was not sure if I would make this one but your pics have inspired me. If you need visuals for the tote last week...I blogged the important bits and failures at http://findingfifth.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/zakka-style-zig-zag-tote-troubles.html
Well done on your first zip....my mum gave me my first last week and I have done 2 since...so I feel more confident now.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Glad (and sad) I'm not the only one finding difficultes with the instructions in this book! IT NEEDS MORE PICTURES/DIAGRAMS! I made the pencil case already and wrote all over the book just as you have for the tote! Pencil case pattern has some issues too!

C&T publishing has a page of 'errata' that you need to see. The link is listed in the Flickr group discussion.

I've been to your Zakka tote post and it is fab - thank you for sharing your 'troubles' with making the tote. I wasn't going to make it but now that I have seen the 'hot spots' I may give it a go :) Cheers Fiona!

Kelly said...

Love it Amy! I am biding my time to join in with the Zakka-along ;0)

Patricia Lessell said...

I Amy I love it. Thanks so much for the pictures. Wanna put in my zip??? Terrified I am.
Lots of Love
Patti xxx

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a cute little house pouch! I'm like you, I like lots of diagrams and photos! Thanks for sharing.
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Sandra :) said...

Sweet pouch - your trims and fabrics are lovely - especially that ribbon trim!

Pat Merkle said...

Your house pouch is adorable! the ribbon just makes it!

Debbie said...

Darling little pouch and congrats on the first zipper ever - very cool!!

Melissa Corry said...

Your pouch is adorable!!! And way to go on the zipper, those are scary :)

Anonymous said...

love it Amy.xx

Wendy said...

Great pouch! YOu can't beat a blue front door.

Pat Merkle said...

Thanks Amy!!!!!! I just love this little house!

Elizabeth said...

What a great travelling first aid kit! That is so cute! I love the fabric you picked for the roof -- it definitely looks like roof tiles. Your machine embroidery details are so cute and I love the little buttons. Congratulations on a great finish and thank you for linking up!

xo -E